Since I was in the hospital waiting for my mother to undergo a small surgery (as you see, I keep going with hospitals), I had time to read the entire Granma newspaper from Friday, the thickest of the week with its 16 pages.
The person in charge of a business is the director.
Ergo, the person in charge of a ministry is its Minister; the person in charge of an institute is its Director; the person in charge of a country is its President.
Pastors for Peace cross the US border with Mexico.
Defying the US blockade for the 23rd time. Either these pastors are really defiant or the blockade is weak!
Contract violations impact the direct sale of agricultural products to tourist outlets.
More than 30 million CUC enter the Ministry of Agriculture for these sales, but they later clarify that of 181 production centers that have signed contracts with hotels, only 45 occur in a regular way. 136 are in breach of contract?!
Summer Festival in Jibacoa.
If I am not wrong, this is Rotilla in disguise. [See also.]
The North American occupation fed the most spurious racist sentiments and the official press did not hide its complicit stance. (From the speech made by Miguel Barnet on the 100th anniversary of the massacre of the Independientes de Color.)
I do not doubt it, but said today, where in the US a black man has arrived at the Presidency thanks to the fight for civil rights, this sounds as if one simply has to speak badly of the Americans. And anyway, what was the official press of the time?
The BCC’s report to Parliament
In the payment system between businesses, they note that balances due and accounts receivable have decreased; it talks about contractual disrespect, but not about the offender’s punishment. Plastic money continues to wait in line and there will be no increase in ATMs.
Challenges of Higher Education.
… conducting ideological political work creatively and with marked intention, to guarantee the formation of highly competent professionals, who are engaged in society and revolutionary principles.
I seem to have heard the same so many times before!
Resources and responsibility to prevent water loss
It is already known that an amount of water is lost equal to what the largest reservoir in the country can store. If 16% is lost in pipes, and 20% in the aqueduct, and 22% in homes, I get 60%. Does the State waste the remaining 40%? Now is when they speak about strategy? This is not serious, although I imagine that the people in Santiago are not laughing at this news.
These pages about the meeting of the National Assembly leave me with the feeling that this government has just reached power, having inherited serious problems.
The white mulberry, an animal feed option.
Nothing against the white mulberry, but as Lezama would say: this report smells like Oporto.
Page 7 (international)
Ben Alí condemned to life in prison.
Probably the most newsworthy item in the entire newspaper, lost in the small section Direct Feed.
The article criticizes the manipulation of child spokespeople on behalf of the Syrian opposition.
…they are using the natural innocence of a child to win supporters and play with people’s sensibility… It seems that their parents are not worried about sending them to demonstrations… Simply, they end their childhood for their own benefit, cutting their innocence short.
And where was the journalist during the Elián González case? I am not only speaking about Elián, but about the many children that we see haranguing like adults on the Mesa Redonda (Roundtable TV show) and in “anti-imperialistic tribunes.”
Page 8 (international)
About the US elections: informative; I wish they would speak with this breadth about domestic politics.
Obama launches a plan to “control the internet” in case of emergency.
Wow! This piece, taken from Rebelión, reports that the Americans could wind up with Internet like mine? False alarm: after reading the piece, the title is sensationalist.
Pages 10 and 11 (letters to the Editor)
It is too exhausting to try to write about these two pages. I was already tired when I got here. Likewise for the rest, up to page 15, where culture and sports are. I would have changed the great title We Knock Out Japan, referring to the Harlem baseball tournament, for another more modest one in view of the Cuban team’s bad start. On the 16th and final page, I am informed obliquely, knowing the inside world of a saltworks in Guantanamo, why salt in Cuba continues to be rationed.
How good I am for reading the entire Granma, and how good you are for reading this.
Translated by: M. Ouellette
July 23 2012